If you’ve ever gone to Tagaytay, then you must know about the dish called Bulalo. Bulalo is basically a dish with a clear broth that uses beef shank and served with leafy vegetables and a side of calamansi, patis (fish sauce), and chili. It’s typically eaten with white rice and is a staple meal for Filipino families.
Bulalo (Beef Shank Soup)
The classic Bulalo or Beef Shank soup recipe.
- 3/4 Kg of Beef Shank (Cubed)
- 1/2 Cabbage (separated individually)
- 1 Small bundle of Petchay
- 1 large potato (chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- A knob of ginger (sliced)
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp Peppercorns
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Step 1 In a big cooking pot, saute the onions until transparent.
- Step 2 Once it’s transparent and add the ginger, saute for 2 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the Beef shank and brown both side on the meat.
- Step 4 Once the meat is ready add the peppercorns and fish sauce, mix it all together then add the water. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 2-3 hours depending on the toughness of the meat. (You can also use a pressure cooker)
- Step 5 When the meat has softened, add the potatoes to the pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Step 6 Now add all the remaining vegetables.
- Step 7 Serve with a side of chili, calamansi and fish sauce.
- Official Facebook Page
- Official Instagram Page
- Official YouTube Page
- Official Spotify Page- Curated MixTapes/Playlist
- Zomato Reviewer Profile
- TripAdvisor Top 2% Contributor