For 23 years now, Fête de la Musique in Manila has been showcasing the best that the Philippine music scene has to offer. The Fête de la Musique began in Paris in 1982. This season, the summertime musical event will draw music lovers in over 300 European cities and over 540 cities worldwide.
I remember attending my first Fête de la Musique event back in 2005 I was in my senior year in college and the OPM scene was rising yet again. We wanted to see all our local favorite bands in a centralized venue for free. We dressed up, waited a few hours in El Pueblo Ortigas to witness the event. The crowd, from all walks of life, gathered in each pocket channels for the sole love for music. It was such an experience that I have to do it annually as a pilgrimage. It has been more than 10 years since that time and whenever I meet new people as I get older, I will always introduce them to Fête de la Musique festival.
Free gigs, covering all music genres, take place across France and around the world (including The Philippines) as part of this festival for the summer solstice on June 21st.
Alliance Française de Manille, the Embassy of France to the Philippines, and other local partners will host the 23rd streak of this audio sensory event in Manila. 30 pocket events covering all genres in music peppered across the following centralized venues;
Makati and pocket venues in Fort and MOA on June 17th
June 23rd at the Puerta Real Gardens in Intramuros
June 24, 2017, at the Cory Park Provincial Capitol Complex in Puerto Princesa City, and in Baguio City.
Specific Stage Time Per Artist (Main stages only)
NOTE: the MAIN STAGES in MAKATI are CANCELLED, but pocket venues will push thru.
FETE DE LA MUSIQUE MAIN STAGE (A-VENUE PARKING LOT) – JUNE 17, 2017 (CANCELLED)
FETE DE LA MUSIQUE MAIN STAGE (GREENBELT 3) – JUNE 17, 2017 (CANCELLED)
FETE DE LA MUSIQUE MAIN STAGE (INTRAMUROS) – JUNE 23, 2017
4:00 – 4:45 PM: Ben & Ben | Folk Pop
4:45 – 5:30 PM: Outerhope | Indie Pop
5:30 – 6:15 PM: Sud | Rock
6:15 – 7:00 PM: We Are Imaginary | Indie Pop
7:00 – 7:45 PM: Ang Bandang Shirley | Indie Rock
7:45 – 8:30 PM: Ron Henley | Hiphop / Rap
8:30 – 9:15 PM: Jensen & the Flips | Soul / RnB
9:15 – 10:00 PM: Brass Pas Pas Pas Pas x Switchtrik x B-Boy Garcia | Soul / Funk / Jazz / OPM
10:00 – 10:45 PM: Autotelic | Pop Rock
10:45 – 11:30 PM: Kjwan | Rock
FETE DE LA MUSIQUE MAIN STAGE (PALAWAN) – JUNE 24, 2017
Main Stage at Cory Park Provincial Capitol Complex, Puerto Princesa
Gates open: 2 pm
- Kitchie Nadal
- Gin Rum & Truth
- Bonifacio Republic
- Black Wolf
- Hey Moonshine
- Good and Bad
- Tommy’s Hound Circus
- Watching Scenes
- Blue Ballz
- Jery Brownstone
- Team Palawakan
- Bugs and Roots
- Raptured Faith
Palawan Pocket Stages
- World Stage at Gypsy’s Lair Art Café
- Electronica / DJ Stage at Save Beach Bar
Pocket Stages Released Line Ups FOR MAKATI (to be completed):
What I love about this event is how they give importance to different music genres, it’s a buffet to your audible sensories. It is a portfolio of the best Filipino music has to offer from OPM legends, mainstream bands, independent artists trying to get into the scene, weird-electronic enables to down right world music beat creators.
Personally, I forego going to the main stage as it tends to be more mainstream and too much waiting time. If you’re a FETE DE LA MUSIQUE virgin and your cherry needs to be popped properly by experiencing their pocket stages. I am strongly recommending to at least go to these 3 stages in Makati before transferring to the rest of the partner venues.
- Start early in the afternoon by attending the Acoustic Stage at A SPACE Makati. They have a solid sound system and intimate set up. It’s a good kickoff to prepare you for the rest of the noon til’ wee hours of the morning. The whole room gets to be solemn when the artist starts strumming his/her guitar.
- Blues- Soul- Funk Stage at the Heckle & Jeckle Bar
- Brazilian Stage by Capoeira Kadara x Nic Rasta and Tono Events at the Woodman’s Head
- Bedroom Beats Stage at The Belle & Dragon
Few pointers to remember:
- Pre-select stage venues you will go. If you’re bringing a car better park somewhere safe and just transfer to each pocket venues either by walking or taking a short cab/jeepney ride.
- Bring water as it could get really humid and hot due to the influx of people
- Last 2016 most of the crowd was on the Indie Stage. So if you’re planning to go there make sure to come early.
- Wear light and comfortable clothing. Again it could get really hot and humid.
- Immerse, Enjoy!
If you haven’t been to any Fête de la Musique event then you should go atleast once. You can never go wrong with music and engagement.
As we always say, go forth and wander! Be a storyteller of your experience.
Do you want to collaborate? or recommend other places? Comment on the line below or send us an e-mail over at firstname.lastname@example.org