How to Cook Lechon Belly- Cebu Style at Home
First things first, when I think of Lechon, I think it’s something that’s complicated, hard to do, and tedious. Originating from Spain, it’s a dish for special occasions, so we rarely take time out to actually try it at home. The traditional Lechon is a roasted pig on a spit on a bed of charcoal.
On this occasion, the FGDO team creates this easy to copy recipe at home so that you can satisfy your Lechon cravings. We’ve researched this thoroughly and have added some of the best practices when cooking Lechon in an oven.
Lechon Belly - Cebu Style
Recreate your favorite Lechon at home
- 1 Kg Pork Belly (Ask your butcher to have both side equal so it will be easy to roll)
- 2 red onions chopped
- 1 bundle of green onions
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 Bundle of Lemongrass
- Soy Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Butchers String
- 4 Chili (if you want it spicy)
- Step 1 The first thing you want to do is to add salt and pepper to your pork belly and let it rest for 30 min and preheat your oven to 400 degrees Celcius. While the meat is absorbing the seasoning, you can prepare your other ingredients.
- Step 2 Chop your onions, green onions, garlic,chili, and half of your lemon grass. You want some of it in big pieces and some of it chopped up so you can extract the flavor.
- Step 3 Now is time to add your vegetables to your meat, so basically mix it all together and add it on the inner side of the meat (not the skin part).
- Step 4 You want all the vegetables at the center and also you can create small pockets on the meat where you can stuff the vegetables to maximize that flavor. Once you finish that, roll it and make sure both ends meet and tie it together. This can be tricky it can be easier if 2 people do it.
- Step 5 Once you finish trying it, add some soy sauce then oil on the skin part of your pork belly. This will enhance color and make your pork belly crispy.
- Step 6 In your oven preheat to 350 degrees celcius, add a pyrex of a stainless steel container at the bottom part with your leftover vegetables. This creates steam that will flavor the meat further and also catch the oil dripping from the pork.
- Step 7 Insert your pork belly into the oven and let it cook for 2 hours.
- Step 8 After 2 hours, brush some milk on the skin of the pork and leave it for another 30 minutes or until its completely crispy.
- Step 9 Once the skin is crispy enough for you, remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before servings.
Any recipe you want us to make? Let us know.
- Official Facebook Page
- Official Instagram Page
- Official YouTube Page
- Official Spotify Page- Curated MixTapes/Playlist
- Zomato Reviewer Profile
- TripAdvisor Top 2% Contributor