The Fat Girls Day Out crew was at open house preview of the Manila Biennale:OPENCITY 2018. Positioned as the “first art experience festival in the history of the city”, Manila Biennale will see Intramuros become a vast art exposition for sculpture, painting, video, film, performance, architecture, and installation. Carlos Celdran, artist, activist, and executive director of the event stresses the need and timing of this artistic intervention.
The whole premise of Biennale 2018 -“It’s about bringing back the soul of the city of Intramuros.” It is a non-profit event and the theme shall be centered in Intramuros and the historical character of Metro Manila. The biennale shall use art as a medium of dialogue to tell stories (site specific) the history of Intramuros.
Biennale [bi.enˈnaːle], Italian for “biennial” or “every other year”, is an event that happens every two years. It is most commonly used in the art world to describe large-scale international contemporary art exhibitions
All installs shall be artist-curated, artist-run and artist-centric highlighting the following:
- Agenda of all the artists
- Art Production and its process
The first Manila Biennale will be set in the walled city of Intramuros from February 2 and will run until March 5, 2018. For an entire month, Intramuros gardens, plazas, chambers, and museums will be transformed into dynamic stages for art, performance, and expression. Manila Biennale: OPEN CITY 2018 is a collaboration between six key art institutions in Manila. The collective work of Anthology Architecture and Design Festival, The Cultural Center of the Philippines, Design Center of the Philippines, Fringe Festival Manila, Intramuros Administration, and VivaManila.
“OPEN CITY” refers to Intramuros as the beginning of Manila’s culture. It is an acknowledgment of its beginnings as a port for the Galleon Trade, a time when Intramuros opened its doors to the world and welcomed new ideas, products, and people.
Curated by: RINGO BUNOAN, ALICE SARMIENTO, COCOY LUMBAO, and CON CABRERA
- agnes ARELLANO / philippines
- vic BALANON / philippines
- zeus BASCON / philippines
- roberto CHABET / philippines
- maria CRUZ / philippines
- partick CRUZ / philippines
- kawayan DE GUIA / philippines
- elnora EBILLO / philippines
- carina EVANGELISTA / philippines
- pete JIMENEZ / philippines
- kitty KABURO / philippines
- jet MELENCIO / philippines
- arvin NOGUERAS / philippines
- teodulo PROTOMARTIR /philippines
- juni SALVADOR / philippines
- angel SHAW / philippines
- gerardo TAN / philippines
- henri VAN NOORDENBURG / netherlands
- oca VILLAMIEL / philippines
- mm YU / philippines
- felix BACOLOR / philippines
- renzBALUYOT / philippines
- aigarsBIKSE / philippines
- lenaCOBANGBANG /philippines
- mideoCRUZ / philippines
- kiriDALENA / philippines
- jason DY, SJ / philippines
- tad ERMITAÑO / philippines
- carina EVANGELISTA / philippines
- hikaruFUJII / japan
- boni JUAN / philippines
- KOLOWN / philippines
- wawiNAVARROZAnicolasCOMBARRO / philippines
- gary-ross PASTRANA / philippines
- alwin REAMILLO / philippines
- mark SALVATUS / philippines
- jose luis SINGSON / philippines
- john TORRES / netherlands
- gail VICENTEmarijaVICENTEtanyaVILLANUEVA / philippines
- cathy YOUNG / philippines
Snippets of the Opening
Watch this overview short video/film of some of the things we’ve witnessed yesterday.
You may opt to get the whole month Passport for 5,300php which gives you access to all exhibition sites inside Intramuros, E-Trike transfers around the area. You’ll also have one ticket to the Artist Ball, one ticket to the Transitio Memorial Concert. Priority reservations to all lectures, film screenings, and all other programs.
There is also a Day Pass -for 880php a one-day access to all exhibition sites inside Intramuros Transportation via E-trike transfers. Valid for 1 (one) day.
The term open city takes on a new connotation today, according to the imaginative interpretation of this year’s curators and artists. For us, it is a reference for open minds, a non-concluded dialogue, open market any metaphoric representation that you can think of.
We encourage you to experience the first contemporary art biennale in the county. Provoke your thoughts and interpretations and find that sense of appreciation of our city.
Do something different every weekend.
Engage with us; email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official Facebook Page
- Official Instagram Page
- Official YouTube Page
- Official Spotify Page- Curated MixTapes/Playlist
- Zomato Reviewer Profile