How to make Scones at Home
When you talk about scones, it makes you think about afternoon tea. Tea time in the United Kingdom is a afternoon tradition typically from 2:00-5:00pm. It’s a mid afternoon snack thats paired with tea, clotted cream, or jam.
QUICK SNIPPET OF HISTORY:
AFTERNOON TEA HAS BEEN A BRITISH TRADITION SINCE THE 1840’S MADE POPULAR BY DUCHESS ANNA OF BEDFORD WHO ALWAYS GOT HUNGRY DURING MIDDAY. SHE WOULD EAT TREATS SUCH AS CAKES, SWEETS, BISCUITS, AND TEA. EVENTUALLY, THIS CEREMONY BECAME WIDESPREAD THAT IT BECAME AN ENGLISH CUSTOM.
This tea time snack is best paired with clotted cream and raspberry or strawberry jam.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 stick unsalted butter (cold)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or almond extract
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 400 degress celcius and line two baking pans with parchment paper.
- Step 2 In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Step 3 Add the butter and cut with a pastry cutter or fork until the butter is integrated into the dry ingredients. (This might look like polvoron, you can also use your hands to mix them together)
- Step 4 In a separate bowl whisk the buttermilk,1 egg, and vanilla together
- Step 5 Make a well in the middle of the bowl with the dry ingredients and add in the buttermilk mixture. You can also add dried fruit or chocolate.
- Step 6 Transfer the dough on a floured surface and divide equally into 2 parts. Lightly knead each into 3/4 inch thick, 6 diameter round dough then cut into 8 wedges.
- Step 7 Place them in your baking pan and space it out 2 inches apart.
- Step 8 In a small bowl mix 1 egg with 1 tbsp water and brush over the uncooked dough.
- Step 9 Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 10 Best served with clotted cream and jam.
Any recipe you want us to make? Let us know.
- Official Facebook Page
- Official Instagram Page
- Official YouTube Page
- Official Spotify Page- Curated MixTapes/Playlist
- Zomato Reviewer Profile
- TripAdvisor Top 2% Contributor