Shakshuka is a Nothern African and middle eastern dish that quite literally means to “mix it all up”, it’s composed of a hearty spiced tomato sauce with a poached egg and various garnishes of your choice. Served in one pan, it’s a great breakfast or brunch meal. It’s typically eaten with a drizzle of honey top.
The FGDO team has created this very easy recipe to try at home.
This Nothern African dish is a perfect breakfast dish. Serve with pita or bread.
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Chopped)
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Can of whole or Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1/4 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 Tbsp Salt
- 1/4 Tbsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Eggs
- For Garnish(Optional)
- Feta Cheese
- Step 1 Prepare a stainless steel pan on medium heat.
- Step 2 Sautee the onions and bell peppers until fragrant.
- Step 3 Add the garlic and the spices, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 4 Once all the ingredients are cooked, add the can of crushed or whole tomatoes. If you opted to add whole tomatoes, crush them and mix the sauce. Let it simmer for 15 minutes to let the flavors deepen.
- Step 5 Once the sauce is ready, create space for the eggs by making a well and add the eggs on the pan and cover it for 7 minutes or until how you want the egg done.
- Step 6 Once it’s ready, add the various garnishes that you have prepared and serve with bread or pita.
Any recipe requests? Let us know.
- Official Facebook Page
- Official Instagram Page
- Official YouTube Page
- Official Spotify Page- Curated MixTapes/Playlist
- Zomato Reviewer Profile
- TripAdvisor Top 2% Contributor